Title: African Marriage
Artist: Grace Chakwenya
Size: approx 16.5″w x 23″h
Hand embroidered folk art
Cost: $80 – includes free shipping in the continental U.S.
The piece includes the hand written story by the artist.
- Mother is sweeping the yard, while Jane her daughter is going to church.
- Jane meeting John in the bus and the two got into a relationship
- John and Jane are going to John’s aunt for introductions.
- At aunts home John is introducing Jane to his aunt and told her they want to get married.
- Aunt is taking Jane to John’s homestead since they have agreed.
- Aunt and Jane being welcomed at home by John’s mother. The two got married and lived at the village happily.
Grace was born in 1969 in Bindura, the last of six children. She was in 10th grade when her parents died and she had to stop her education. After 2 months as a receptionist in a hotel in Mutare she returned home and began growing tomatoes and vegetables in her parents garden and selling them. She married in 1989 and has six children, including two sets of twins. Grace began doing appliqué in 1992. “I am not a person who wants to stay sitting, saying I have nothing. I want to help myself.” Her favorite topics are based on HIV/AIDS and also on traditional healers.